In the south-east of Salzburg province, about 100 km south of Salzburg City, lies the Lungau region. A high plateau between the Niedere Tauern range to the north and the Nockberge mountains to the south. The town of St. Michael, population 3,600, is located at an elevation of 1,075 m, with the Speiereck rising to 2,411 m and Katschberg Pass at 1,641 m above sea level.
Alpine and Nordic skiing, snowboarding, winter hikes, ski touring, tobogganing, ice skating, night skiing, horse-drawn sleigh rides.
Ski slopes, cable cars and much more:
– Lungau ski region with 47 lifts and 190 km of slopes
– Lungo ski region with 64 lifts and 300 km of slopes
– Boarder Park on the Aineck
– 6 km floodlit natural toboggan run
– 50 km of cross-country ski trails, ranging between 1,050 and 1,850 m in elevation; in total, the Lungau trail network encompasses some 100 km of superbly tracked trails, with fans of skating technique able to power themselves along 70 km of trails groomed just for them.
– 25 km of winter hiking paths
– 30 ski tours in the countryside surrounding St. Michael
– ice rink and ice-skating on a natural pond
– several sports shops with equipment rental
– ski school
Hiking, mountaineering, mountain biking, cycling, golf, tennis, swimming, mini golf, fishing, tandem paragliding, canyoning, horseback riding, Nordic walking, running
– hiking routes, from gentle paths in the valley, to extended trekking routes
– Aineck lift: 1 lift
– Speiereck Sonnenbahn lift St. Michael
– 450 km of mountain bike routes, variety-packed trail network
– 550 km of family bike paths, bike rentals available at several sporting good stores
– 60 km of posted Nordic-walking routes, ranging from beginner to expert
– “Worlds of Running Adventure”: 9 different running trails, from 2 to 28 km in length
– 18-hole golf course
– alpine herb garden
– forest nature trail
St. Michael im Lungau
Continuation: St.Michael – An Overview:
– Katschberg Equestrian Center, elev. 1,650 m
– Summer outdoor pool and mini-golf course
The region possesses rich cultural and folk traditions. St. Michael, along with surrounding regions, both near and further afield, boasts many churches, castles, historic mines and museums, all of which are well worth a visit.
Unique traditions associated with high church holidays and our patron saints are lovingly nurtured: At the Corpus Christi Procession in St. Michael, figures of Samson, the biblical giant, are paraded through town. The neighboring parishes of Zederhaus and Muhr both mark the feasts of their patron saints on 24 and 29 June with a ceremonial procession highlighted by poles garlanded in thousands of flowers.
From 13 through 15 June, 2014, the “Fire & Voice” International Choir Festival brings music to all of St. Michael. www.feuerundstimme.com
2700 guest beds in all categories, from a 4-star hotel to an alpine hut.
St. Michael im Lungau Tourist Office, Raikaplatz 242, 5582 St. Michael im Lungau, Austria, telephone +43-(0)6477-8913 0, www.sanktmichael.at
St. Michael im Lungau Tourist Office – Raikaplatz 242 – 5582 St. Michael im Lungau – Austria
T: +43 (0)6477 8913 0 , F: +43 (0)6477 8913